EDITION: Fight Forum
MMA & UFC FORUM BOXING FORUM WRESTLING FORUM EVERYTHING ELSE FAQs
LIVE FORUMS FOR MMA, UFC, AND OTHER FIGHTING
Registered Users, Log In Here
James Daniels Jersey

laiyongcai92

Posted 2:52 am, 10/08/2018

Jaylen Samuels smiled at the question. It’s not the first time he’s been asked where exactly he fits on the football field. The answer during Samuels’ time at North Carolina State depended on when you asked him.

Tight end? Fullback? Tailback? Wide receiver? Safety? At some point James Daniels Jersey , the Pittsburgh Steelers rookie played them all for the Wolfpack.

He doesn’t see that being an issue in the NFL. At least not in Pittsburgh anyway. The Steelers made it clear when they called him on the final day of the draft last month and told him they were taking him in the fifth round.

Samuels is a running back. And only a running back. For now anyway. Yet even as he explains his comfort level in a room that’s currently missing Le’Veon Bell " who is skipping organized team activities while waiting to sign his one-year franchise tender " Samuels also tips his hand. He might not be done moving around the field just yet.

”I’m also in the slot, playing a little bit of that position, being able to run some routes, catch some balls in the slot, outside, wherever they want me,” Samuels said on Wednesday.

Sounds an awful lot like what the Steelers ask Bell to do. Of course, Bell is a three-time Pro Bowler, a two-time All-Pro and one of the most dynamic players in the NFL. Samuels is none of those things. He’s just a 21-year-old trying to find his way and hardly the only one in a backfield that is wide open behind Bell.

Former Pitt star James Conner showed flashes as a rookie last fall before a knee injury ended his season. Stevan Ridley arrived in December as a stopgap and did enough to earn a one-year deal for 2018. Fitzgerald Toussaint remains on the fringe of the picture too. Jarvion Franklin and James Summers are unknowns.

Bell’s long-term status is uncertain. He says he wants to be in Pittsburgh for the duration of his career. The Steelers do too. And yet if the two sides don’t reach an agreement on a new contract by the mid-July deadline, 2018 will almost certainly be Bell’s last year with the Steelers.

While Conner and Samuels are saying the right things " that the starting job is Bell’s whenever he shows up and for as long as he’s on the roster " both understand the opportunity the extra snaps created by Bell’s absence offers.

So does their quarterback.

”This is a big time for James with some of the injuries that he had last year and learning last year,” Ben Roethlisberger said. ”I think this will be really good for him to get as many reps as possible.”

Though Conner remains a work in progress in the passing game, Samuels has wasted little time proving he knows what he’s doing when he lines up as a receiver. During a 2-point conversion drill on Wednesday Womens Antonio Brown Jersey , he hauled in a beautiful catch over a linebacker for a conversion, a grab that earned a roar from the sideline.

”It wasn’t nothing new for me,” Samuels said with a shrug.

Not by a longshot. Samuels set a school record by catching 202 passes at N.C. State, and his 47 touchdowns rank second all-time in program history. He believes he has a ”knack” for getting over the goal line, and whenever the Wolfpack would get inside the opponent’s 20, offensive coordinator Eliah Drinkwitz has a special section on his playcall sheet just for Samuels.

”It was just `JaySam’ plays,” Samuels said. ”Just for whenever he wanted me to get the ball. If it was third down, fourth down, he’d just put me in the backfield and put me in the slot and try to get me the ball.”

Yet Samuels is just as comfortable lining up behind the quarterback too, a transition that began in earnest during his final season with the Wolfpack. He averaged 5.2 yards per carry in 2017 and ran for 12 touchdowns despite averaging just six rushes per game.

At 6-feet and 225 pounds, he considers himself a power guy with a dash of breakaway ability thrown in for good measure.

Still, NFL scouts didn’t quite know what to make of him. He worked out with the tight ends at the draft combine http://www.dallascowboystea...ott-jersey , doing just two drills with the running backs. He thinks that’s one of the reasons he was still there in the fifth round waiting for his name to be called. Getting passed over bothered him. More than a little.

”I felt disrespected going as late as I did,” Samuels said. ”But that’s just going to be motivation for me.”

No matter where " or when " he lines up.

NOTES: The Steelers and third-round pick Mason Rudolph agreed to a four-year deal on Wednesday, leaving first-round pick Terrell Edmunds as the only selection yet to sign. … Roethlisberger was not on the field Wednesday.

"

OAKLAND, Calif. " The Oakland Athletics will encounter one of their all-time nemeses Thursday afternoon when they face Houston Astros right-hander Justin Verlander in the finale of a three-game series.

The Astros have dominated the first two games of the series between American League West rivals, riding a total of 10 RBIs from Evan Gattis to 6-3 and 13-5 victories.

Houston has won seven of eight from Oakland this season.

The Astros have done it without any help from Verlander (8-2, 1.45 ERA), who has yet to face the A’s this season.

They have seen plenty of each other in the veteran’s 14-year career, including five times in the postseason, when Verlander has gone 4-0 against Oakland.

Included in the four wins were Game 5 clinchers for Detroit in 2012, when Verlander pitched a 6-0 shutout, and 2013, when he threw eight innings of shutout ball in a 3-0 win.

A’s general manager Billy Beane got so fed up losing to Verlander Youth Cam Newton Jersey , he attempted to stack the Oakland pitching staff in anticipation of a rematch in 2014, acquiring Jon Lester, Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel at midseason at the costly expense of Addison Russell and Yoenis Cespedes.

The A’s, who already had Sonny Gray and Scott Kazmir anchoring their staff, never got a shot at Verlander in the playoffs that year, losing 9-8 to Kansas City in the American League wild-card game, which Lester started and Hammel finished.

With Lester, Samardzija and Hammel all leaving the team the following season either via trade or free agency, the A’s haven’t been back in the postseason since. In fact, they’ve never finished higher than fourth place the last three seasons.

Verlander has a 10-6 record and 2.61 ERA in 17 starts against the A’s in his career during the regular season. He’s 5-4 with a 2.38 ERA in 10 starts in Oakland.

The A’s will counter with their modern-day version of Verlander, rookie right-hander Frankie Montas (3-0, 1.25) Womens Ryan Kerrigan Jersey , who has been brilliant in three starts this season.

Acquired from the Los Angeles Dodgers in one of Oakland’s many veteran sell-offs since becoming a non-contender in 2015, Montas has allowed a total of three runs in 21 2/3 innings in wins over Arizona and Kansas City (twice).

Montas pitched twice in relief against Houston in 2017, getting shelled in one inning in each appearance.

He gave up three hits and two runs in the ninth inning of a 10-6 loss to the Astros in his 11th career appearance early in the 2017 season, then served up a three-run home run to Marwin Gonzalez in the ninth inning of a 7-2 loss two weeks later.

Gonzalez had one of Houston’s four home runs in Wednesday’s shellacking, but the story of the game for the second consecutive night was Gattis.

The designated hitter, who had recorded four RBIs nine separate times in his career before this series began, enjoyed his second consecutive five-RBI performance in Wednesday’s win, belting two home runs along the way.

Gattis had been just 3-for-12 with no homers and no RBIs in six games against the A’s this season before exploding for four hits, including three homers, in seven at-bats the last two nights.

Buffalo Bills Customized Jerseys

Your Reply

Your Username:

Your Password:

Add Reply
Cancel
IN THE NEWS
Canelo Alvarez signs massive $365 million deal with DAZN to stream fights
Canelo Alvarez's deal with DAZN is the biggest in the history of sports.